Friday, January 30, 2009

5. Knitted Trimming

"Knitted Trimming," a garter stitch curved edging, features faggoting along the upper edge, two rows of large eyelets below formed by working two stitches into double yarn overs, and a shallow saw-tooth lower edge. The stitch count increases from 11 to 13 in the first row and returns to the original number in the fourth.



You can download the full-size chart, verbal instructions and notes here.

As I was knitting the sample I could see that the edging wanted to curve and would, therefore, be a good choice to border a round doily, tablecloth or shawl. I thought, however, that I would be able to block it straight for the photo. This proved not to be the case. When the sample was pinned as a conventional edging, there was no way to stretch the lower section sufficiently for the eyelets to open up. So I have concluded that this pattern is not merely suitable for round pieces, but in fact can be used only for such designs. If attached to a straight edge it might form a ruffle, but I think it would have to be blocked (curving) prior to being joined to the piece.

Next time: Torchon Edge

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you once again. Such lovely pieces. You are a star.

Fiona said...

Is that as straight as you could reasonably block it? How curved can it get?

(i.e., what radius of doily would it be useful for?)

vintagekathleen said...

Fiona-

The sample was knit with fingering weight cotton on 2.25mm needles. As blocked it would fit a 5-1/2" to 6" doily. If you are planning to use the edging, I would definitely recommend doing your own sample first. Yarns/threads, needle sizes and individual knitting styles can make such a difference.

Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Oooohhh!
I have a definite need for a collar for a sweatshirt (or two or three) - and this would seem to be just about perfect for that job!
Thank you for knitting this up to show the end result AND for 'modernizing" the pattern so that others (myself included) could attempt it.
I've just surfed in tonight - but I will be back for more lace edgings.

Happy knitting,
Janey
janeyknitting AT yahoo DOT ca

Anonymous said...

Hi
I have tried to do this pattern, but i can not seem to do it, On the last row i do not have a stitch left to k1.
I also have a problem with the first stitch on row one, which i think is slip one.

If anyone can help please. would love to do this.

Many Thanks
June

vintagekathleen said...

June--
I suspect that your problem with the last line is that you may be knitting 8 stitches after binding off two, but the stitch on your right needle after the bind off is the first stitch of that sequence, i.e., the stitch underneath the number 11 at the top of the chart. In other words, the first stitch of K8 has already been worked in the process of BO2, so from there you K7, O, K2tog, K1. See if that helps.

Anonymous said...

Hi

Thanks so much for your response, I will try again, hope i can do it this time.

June

Anonymous said...

Hi

I feel silly now as the mistake was so obvious, I needed you to point it out, thanks so much, i just tried it and it worked.

I am a beginner and i hope to knit a collar for my mother.

Thanks for this wonderful website

June